James Urquhart (Wisdom of Clouds blog) and I are starting a new podcast series on cloud computing and related topics (virtualization, software-as-a-service, platform-as-a-service, infrastructure-as-a-service, utility and on-demand computing, etc.).
The series is entitled Overcast. We plan to do it at least on a weekly basis, discussing topics and news of the day. We're also planning on having guests join us -- namely notable executives, techies, analysts and bloggers active in the cloud computing space.
Here are some of the topics we discuss in it:
- New features from Amazon Web Services, such as auto-scaling and load-balancing, and how it affects Amazon's eco-system of partners such as RightScale, GigaSpaces and others; as well as AWS coming out of beta and offering SLAs
- Microsoft Azure and whether or not it will help Microsoft attract non .Net developers to it
- CohesiveFT's new VPN-Cubed product
- IBM's announcement that they are offering Lotus Notes as software-as-a-service
We also discuss:
- The potential roles of IBM, HP and Sun in cloud computing
- The recent debate between Tim O'Reilly and Nick Carr on the Network Effect in cloud computing
- The notion of vendor "vision lock-in" -- announcements aimed at making potential customers take pause before selecting a cloud vendor
- and much more...
Please listen in and let James and me know what you think.
Also, you can: